Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Joy: Love Poems From God!

That's right. Love Poems from God. Read it. Even if you don't like poetry (or think you don't like poetry), read it. I feel like I'm one of those kids on "Reading Rainbow" who smiled at the camera and said, "If you like such-and-such a book, then you'll LOVE this one..." Because it's THAT good!

Recently, I've been *somewhat* obsessed with the following people, largely due to this book: Rumi, St. Francis of Assisi, Hafiz, Kabir, St. Teresa of Avila, Tukaram, Sr. Catherine of Siena, Mira, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rabia, Meister Eckhart, and St. John of the Cross. This book brings together a bouquet of poetry written by these people. Up until now, I had no idea that St. Thomas Aquinas wrote poetry.  Who knew?! Amazing. 

So, thanks to my generous and loving friend Christina, who has lent me this book since July, I have been starting my mornings with a lit candle, and a few poems from the East and West. I also recently read "Praying Your Experiences" by Br. Joseph Schmidt, and he says, "Pray as you can, not as you can't." I've found that praying poetry in the morning puts me in SUCH A GREAT MOOD! I am so happy as I get out of bed, blow out my candle, and head off to breakfast with verses like "God and I will forever cherish Myself" from Rabia in my subconscious. 

Below are just a sampling of my favorite little golden nuggets. Enjoy!   


"God Would Kneel Down" ~ St. Francis of Assisi

I think God might be a little prejudiced.
For once He asked me to join Him on a walk through this world,

and we gazed into every heart on this earth,
and I noticed He lingered a bit longer 
before any face that was 
weeping,

and before any eyes that were 
laughing.

And sometimes when we passed 
a soul in worship

God too would kneel 
down.

I have come to learn: God 
adores his 
creation.

* * * * * 

"And Help Him Comfort" ~Mira

God has
a special interest in women
for they can lift this world to their breast
and help Him 
comfort.

* * * * *

"Each Soul Completes Me" ~Hafiz

My 
Beloved said,

"My name is not complete without yours."

I thought:
How could a human's worth ever be such?
And God knowing all our thoughts--and all our
thoughts are innocent steps on the path-- 
then addressed my heart,

God revealed a sublime truth to the world,
when He sang,

"I am made whole by your life. Each soul,
each soul completes 
me."


Peace, 
-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment