Saturday, February 12, 2011

Joy: Words that Feed Us

 So this year's New Year's Resolution is going well- I haven't skipped one reflection in "Bread for the Journey by Henri Nouwen, and starting my day with a lit candle and a bit of wisdom and reflection has helped me remain grounded on most days. The past few reflections have been on the power of words: giving and receiving consolation through words and words that can create or destroy, for example.  Today's was on the life-giving properties of words, and it reminded me of Jeremiah 15:16, where the prophet says, "When I found your words, I devoured them; they became my joy and the happiness of my heart, because I bore your name, O LORD, God of hosts." (NAB)


 "Words That Feed Us" - February 12th

When we talk to one another, we often talk about what happened, what we are doing, or what we plan to do.  Often we say, "What's up?" and we encourage one another to share the details of our daily lives.  But often we want to hear something else.  We want to hear, "I've been thinking of you today," or "I missed you." or "I wish you were here," or "I really love you."  It is not always easy to say these words, but such words can deepen our bonds with one another. 

Telling someone "I love you" in whatever way is always delivering good news.  Nobody will respond by saying, "Well, I knew that already, you don't have to say it again"! Words of love and affirmation are like bread.  We need them each day, over and over.  
They keep us alive inside.


The idea that words cause us joy and sustain us is incredibly Eucharistic- Jesus is the WORD that came to be with us, we consume this WORD in Eucharist. Awesome.

The poet Emily Dickinson said "I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word.  Sometimes I write one, and look at it, until it begins to shine." 

Words spoken with honesty and love are powerful. 

Speak Your Truth and Shine On. 


-M

No comments:

Post a Comment